I’ve spent a little time recently thinking about the differences between Liberals and Conservatives. Some of the big issues like abortion and same-sex-marriage are easily identified but I wasn’t really clear on all the key differences. Maybe this will help. The source is https://liberals.com/2020/05/15/what-is-liberalism/
Conservatives vs. Liberals
- Generally, believe in governmental action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all,
- that it is the duty of the government to reduce community issues and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights.
- Also, believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need.
- Liberal policies emphasize the need for the government to solve people’s problems.
Liberals are often referred to as being on the LEFT when put into a political spectrum.
Democrats are often viewed as more liberal.
- Generally believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.
- Also, believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.
- Conservative policies generally emphasize the empowerment of the individual to solve problems.
Conservatives are often referred to as being on the RIGHT when put into a political spectrum.
Republicans are often viewed as more conservative.
The Top 10 Issues Dividing Liberals and Conservatives
The most hotly debated topics between conservatives and liberals are easy to find. Here is a rundown of the issues dividing liberals and conservatives:
- Liberals – A woman has the right to decide
- Conservatives – Human life begins at conception
- Gun control
- Liberals – Additional gun control laws are necessary to stop gun violence
- Conservatives – The Second Amendment gives citizens the right to keep and bear arms
- Death penalty
- Liberals – The death penalty should be abolished
- Conservatives – The death penalty is a punishment that fits the crime of murder
- Liberals – Oil is a depleting resource that’s bad for the environment
- Conservatives – Oil, gas, and coal are good. Drill away.
- Global warming
- Liberals – Laws are needed because we are destroying the planet
- Conservatives – Proposed laws to reduce carbon emissions will do nothing to help the environment and will cause significant price increases for all. More science, please.
- Liberals – We support free or low-cost government-controlled health care.
- Conservatives – Free market health care all the way
- Liberals – Support illegal immigration
- Conservatives – More of an emphasis on securing the borders and immigrants shouldn’t have the same rights as citizens.
- Same-sex marriage
- Liberals – Yes
- Conservatives – No
- Liberals – Support welfare to protect the poor and support equality.
- Conservatives – Encourage people to become self-reliant. Short term welfare.
- Liberals – Higher taxes (primarily for the wealthy) and a larger government are necessary to address inequity/injustice in society while still letting the market economy thrive
- Conservatives – Support lower taxes so people themselves can spend money, not the government.